Thursday 1 November 2012

Information Overload

You know when I started this blog it was just a hoot to be writing about music again after a very early retirement. I had an existential crisis about the point of being a critic, when you yourself haven't got out there and created art. Who was I to judge? I was just another opinionated Australian and who needed another one of those? Being a published music critic at age 18 and getting paid for it ended after 4 reviews. Anyway as I got  further into this blogging caper I really started to think I've got to add something useful or unique to the discourse. There are many blogs that offer information on similar topics and I didn't want to add to the glut. So the whole notion of striving to be concise had to be reviewed in my mind. Being concise is good as I believe people do prattle on a little too long and  tediously about topics that don't necessarily warrant their word count.. I've also realised particularly with the Glaring Omissions series that adding my own personal history of my admiration of particular artists and how they came into my life is unique to me and therefore not just adding to the information overload unnecessarily. I don't need to repeat information that can be found in hundreds of different places on the interweb. Is this just me rationalising a reason to continue blogging? Rationalising Andy Warhol's Fifteen minutes of fame? Perhaps some bloggers need to have a little think and figure out why they're doing what they're doing. Is this just navel gazing though for its own sake? I mean people are compelled to blog and who am I to begrudge them?

Another aspect of my blog at the start was keeping an Eye on the critics/journalists involved in discourse of particular dis/interest to me. I felt that hey they can criticise the shit out of someone or something but they were for some reason immune to being pulled up on something or criticised themselves. So they were allowed to say what they wanted but then would get all catty when a taste of their own medicine came their way. Some of the ugliest insults have come my way because of this. All I have to say is toughen up Princesses (ie. critics). I have to admit the only insults/sledges I have received have come from websites with advertising. So certain editors feel the need to throw insults your way to protect their brand. Heaven forbid an advertiser should realise the site they are sponsoring is not really that great or perhaps shite. Some of these sites are not about music at all, they're about business and money. I think I was a little naive when I started blogging thinking music websites, theory based blogs, miscellaneous blogs and music blogs were all part of the anarchic cultural discussion together. How wrong I was! I must admit I don't really trust websites with advertising anymore. Is money gettin in the way of real intellectual opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment